13 Dec Mexibog – Challenged to Invent
We live in a world of unlimited opportunities; a place where just anything can happen. Inventions abound around us today in the world of science, technology, economics, entertainment, health, politics, and virtually all fields of human endeavor.
In case you haven’t noticed, the world is currently experiencing an information explosion. We live in a dynamic world where things are changing rapidly and we have come to understand that things don’t just happen; they are made to happen.
Inventing the future is not optional; it is mandatory. Someone said, “The best way to predict the future is to invent it”. Inventing the future now demands a new way of thinking. It requires innovation.
Please note, that schools require us to learn formulas, but not to do any independent thinking. That is the more reason why lack of formal education should never be confused with lack of intelligence or knowledge. Having a University degree is a privilege and an added advantage if you have it.
Could you believe the developers of Apple were turned down by both Atari and Hewlett-Packard when they presented the idea of a personal computer? They were told to go back to college. Imagine a world without Apple products.
In the same vein, the chief Engineer of the British Post Office said in 1876: ‘We don’t need a telephone; we have plenty of messenger boys. Imagine a world without telephone.
“The future is limited by imagination.”
How then do you get into inventing an enviable future?
- SEPARATE YOURSELF FOR QUIETNESS: There is a separation required for illumination. Quietness as it were enhances mental resourcefulness. That was how Isaac Newton became a renowned scientist. An apple dropped on his head one day while he was sitting under an apple tree. He then began wondering, “Why did this thing fall?” That discovery gave birth to the law of gravity which has contributed in no small amount to scientific and technological advancement till date. You need quietness both on your inside and outside to get the best out of your mind.
- WALK WITH THE WISE: Wrong influence can thwart your thinking pattern. You have a choice of who to relate with. You can relate with the wise through their books, publications and their audio/visual materials. In fact, technology has made things easy these days. Instead of wasting your time browsing jargons on the internet, you can access materials and information relevant to your pursuit online and imbibe them to enlarge your thinking capacity.
- COME OUT OF THE BOX: You’ve got to think beyond limitations or boundaries you have ever known existed and set a new record that’ll make people exclaim ‘Waoh’!
- BE CONTRARY: You have to challenge the popular in order come up with something unique. Jack Welch, CEO of General Electric said, “You can’t behave in a calm rational manner. You’ve got to be out there on the lunatic fringe.”
- BECOME A BABY FOR A WHILE: Babies lack experience to know what is realistic or not realistic; what is possible or not possible. Babies operate free of past precedents. As a matter of fact they ask ridiculous questions adults wouldn’t ask. In the game of innovative thinking, many adults are often limited because of ready-made answers stacked up in their head whereas inventing the future entails suspending your judgment to think like babies for a while and responding openly to any conceivable idea.
- ASK IMPOSSIBLE QUESTIONS: Questions are the seeds of innovation. In the process of asking impossible questions, insights on unforeseen possibilities emerge with discoveries that set you on the path of inventing the future.
- DON’T QUIT: You must exhibit a sense of desperacy in inventing the future as life will never give you what you desire but what you demand out of life. Remember, winners don’t quit and quitters don’t win.